Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mount a Windows share on a Linux machine as a local drive

This comes in handy at times. Create a folder on your linux machine:

mkdir /foldername

On the Windows Server, share your folder, giving your domain account full permissions.

On your linux server:


mount -t cifs \\\\windowsservername.domain.com\\sharename -o username=yourusername,password=yourpassword,domain=yournetbiosdomain /sharename

This mounts the remote share as /foldername, that you created earlier. Note: You must create the folder on your Linux machine first in order to mount the remote share to it.

I use this quite a bit on a linux-based Oracle DB server where I have a huge schema export to import, but lack the local disk space to copy it to and import it. I just mount the db export share to the linux DB server and import as usual.

This is even better than using a USB2.0 external hard drive, because Gigabit Ethernet provides much more bandwidth that USB2.0 can. Plus, having an optimized network utilizing jumbo frames will help even more.

Yes, I can't wait for 10GBase-T to drop in price. The CAT6A NIC's are running ~$700 each, but the 24-port switches (Summit X650 and Arista are the only players for now) are pricey. The 24-port Summit X650 runs ~$22k. The Arista runs ~$12k. I do like the Arista a bit better personally. It is a very nice datacenter/top-of-rack switch that is priced right. Now, Juniper Networks needs to pull their head out of the sand and realize that 10GBase-T DOES have a following and a lot of customers WANT IT. I for one, do not want to waste money on expensive optics nor buy from a vendor that I am unfamiliar with. My entire network is already Juniper-powered and I want to keep it that way. I want to use my existing CAT5E for 10G speeds. Yes, 10G is possible on CAT5E, for short runs of less than 55 meters if I am not mistaken. CAT6A is ideal, and doesn't cost a whole lot more than good quality CAT5E.

No comments:

Post a Comment